Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I wasted $3.00

Ok, so I might be an ass, but I've always believed that no one should get something for nothing. That was how I was raised and I agree with it. I think that if you start giving people stuff and they do nothing to exchange for it, it creates a bad process. I know if someone kept giving me stuff over and over again and I never did anything in return I'd feel like shit. I'd know that I should be doing something for all that stuff they are giving me. Granted, I've always harbored a dream that I'd win the lottery. But I've also always secretly known that I'd feel like such a dork if that was how I became rich. I know I'd have to use that money to actually make a name for myself. Actually make money on my own.

Anyhow, so this way of thinking has always applied to people asking for money on the street. I'm one of those jerks who never gives it. The only exception is if the person is doing something for it, like if they are playing music, singing, etc. something to exchange for the money. Then I think it's only fair that I give them money. And plus, I love that I can walk down old town and hear music all the time.

So, today I went to starbucks because we had no food at home. There was a lady outside, clearly not a bum or anything, asking for money for food. I told her I didn't have any cash on me and she gave me this look like I was BSing her, which I was. For the first time in my life I actually felt guilty for this. So I went inside and I was like, well if she's genuinely hungry, I'll just get her a breakfast sandwich, that way she can't spend the money on something else. So I got her one. It took forever and when I finally came out she was friggin gone!

I finally give in and it was for nothing.

So I drove home with my extra breakfast sandwich and the whole way home I was looking for a bum to stop and give it to. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Pasadena doesn't have a ton of homeless people, so I didn't see a single one on my drive home. Not even the old lady that always sleeps on the library steps...

My extra breakfast sandwich is sitting on my dining room table. Just sitting there. With no one to eat it.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger boo said...

I hate it when altruism goes awry! Put your extra sammich in the fridge, and enjoy it later. You did good, even if it didn't work out right. ^_^

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger mo said...

That was the plan, but at about 3pm I realized it was still sitting on my dining room table...so I threw it away. I was just going to eat it tomorrow. Oh, well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home