Monday, June 09, 2008

Mother's Day


I know this is kind of late, but since I figured I put a post up about Father's Day, it wouldn't be fair to neglect the recent Mother's Day.

We need to start with a tiny bit of history for this one. Last year was a different sort of Mother's Day for me. A few weeks beforehand I'd been trying to figure out what to get my mom for Mother's Day. I was about to find out what the sex of my baby was so I was thinking getting her a DVD of the ultrasound would be a great present. She didn't really want anything for Mother's Day, but I knew she'd love being able to see the ultrasound. Turns out my planning wasn't necessary as she passed away just before the ultrasound and just before Mother's day. It was a sudden and unexpected turn of events for us.

We spent last Mother's day at Gladstones in Malibu, our mom's favorite place to go for her birthday. We got an extra bloody mary and brought it down to the beach. We then poured her ashes in the ocean along with some roses and the bloody mary (since she always loved them). It was a very weird Mother's Day for all of us.

Here's a pic of me and my siblings that day. It's funny because I felt like I was showing so much in this pic...But when I look back on it, it hardly even looks like I'm pregs compared to how enormous my tummy got later on.

So, fast-forward to this year's Mother's Day. This was my first Mother's Day as a mommy and my first Mother's Day without my mom. I know technically last year was the first without my mom, but it didn't feel like it.

It was strange and I really missed my mom. We went to the LA arboretum as that is our tradition, but it was odd to not have to buy a Mother's Day card, or worry about a gift or anything. And it was of course sad. I've not touched on the issue of my mom's passing away really in this blog, but some day I might. It's a tender area for me and really there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss her. Especially now that I'm a mommy myself.

Anyhow, all in all it was a good Mother's day. My hubby made me breakfast in bed and then we all hung out together till we went to the arboretum. It was cold in the morning so like a dork I wore boots, jeans and t-shirt, which I much regretted after walking around for a little while. It was so hot! And when you have a baby you are carrying a ton, it gets even hotter.

Anyhow...

2 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger Marlyn said...

Wow Mo. I didn't know all this. I can't imagine. And yet, I feel your pain. Come visit and we'll go to Gladstones' and toast your Mama!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger mo said...

thanks! I'd love to! It's funny that I've been there 9 million times, but I don't eat seafood! I finally learned to get stuff off the kids menu. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home