Saturday, July 05, 2008

For Alex-Our Kitties

Here is the story of my kitties and how they came to be:

Before I moved in with Chris I had a small female black cat. Being the not-quite-as-responsible-as-I-am-now-20 year old I procrastinated on getting her fixed. So she got pregnant relatively quickly (when I was still thinking she was a kitten). She had her kittens. I can't remember how many, like 5 or 6 of them. And then she got really sick. At first we (I was living temporarily with my parents at the time) just thought she was skinny as she'd just had the kittens. But it wasn't so. She was taken to the vet and it turned out that she was really sick and we ended up having to put her down.

The kittens were only a couple weeks old so we were feeding them with little tiny bottles and formula. My mom especially tried to take good care of them. Now that I think of it, I had just moved back out of my parents, so that was why my mom was taking care of them. Anyhow, despite my mom's best efforts the kittens were dying. Each day a new one would go. In the end there was only one little black kitty left and I took him home.

We tried to think of a good name for him...we went through a ton of them, some good, some mean, some funny. None of them ever stuck and he will be forever known as "Kitty". He's always been quite a bit of a menace. He's moody and if you swat him for doing something bad he has no compunction about turning right around on you and attacking you. But he's also very loving. He is sometimes so loving that he's obnoxious. He's a very snuggly cat. He also has moments of insanity...he'll leap into the air like a ghost just pinched his butt when absolutely nothing is going on. Surprisingly, he's also the best with Liam. He lets Liam pull his hair, hit him, etc. and just sits there and takes it like a man. Anyhow, so that is Kitty. He's the short-haired black kitty in the pictures.

I've always told myself I'd NEVER get a long-haired cat as they are just too hairy. It's bad enough with short-haired cat, but dealing with the fur that gets on everything with a long-haired cat is just annoying.

We were over at my SIL's house and my BIL had this little litter of kittens that a feral cat had given birth too in his garage. There was this one little dark grey kitty that was just too cute. I was hooked. Dang kittens are always cuter than the cat they turn out to be. And of course, he was long-haired.

So I brought him home. He used to sleep on me exclusively, he loved me. Then one day he was too good for me and would only sleep on Chris. He refused to let me pet him or snuggle with him. Stinky cat.

At least he has a name. Chris named him Pauly Walnuts after the Sopranos character. He always had these white hairs sticking out of his ears...he looks just like him.

So, these are my kitties...



3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Marlyn said...

Kitty looks like my Blake (dead now). He wasn't all black though -- he had a white "bow tie" and a white spot on his belly. He was my baby for 18 years. I think he waited to die until he know I had Alex!

She is in the cool dark bedroom singing and dancing with her sister. I'll show her the kitties later.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Marlyn said...

http://topangabubbles.blogspot.com/2008/07/alex-and-traveler.html

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger mo said...

Wow, I've never had a cat last that long. Until these cats, my cats have always been outdoor cats and often they've been adopted feral cats we've just found. Unfortunately they've always met with untimely deaths in one way or another. I think we had one that grew to be like 9 years old and he died of some illness. That's the oldest we've ever had.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home